One year since I picked up ‘Agile Web Development with Rails’ and coded my first Rails model/controller/view: seems so long ago now.
Things I’ve mastered in the past year:
- Test driven development using unit and functional tests.
- Master-detail forms using Ajax to add and delete rows, fetching product details in JSON for codes entered into a line item.
- Prototype and jQuery, including jQuery UI datepickers.
- Loading and parsing XML data files using Nokogiri.
- Building complex reports using nested views in PostgreSQL, maintained using rails_sql_views.
- Creating formatted, multi-tab Excel spreadsheets using Spreadsheet gem.
- Creating pixel-perfect PDF reports using JasperReports loaded using Java-Ruby bridge.
- Hosting using Apache with Passenger, Mongrel, Thin and Unicorn.
- Monitoring using ScoutApp.
- Upgrading a production app from Rails 2.3.4 to Rails 3.0.9.
- Switching from ERB to HAML.